• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PaCE : Performance Appraisal and Competency system

Navy_Pete

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
How does "DWAN access is not available" and "via email only" work exactly?
St Patricks Day Rainbow GIF by TipsyElves.com

(I'm really liking this GIF, almost a standard COA now).

I think policy wise you just have to show you are doing regular div notes, so probably should be some kind of common sense allowances for operations and postings. Not sure how you email something in without PKI anyway though as the form with div notes would be PRO B, so for some people the old paper binder version is still probably the best solution.

Zoomie

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
I attended multiple Teams briefs this past week on Manager roles and the mechanics of PaCE. I didn’t like the comments that we needed to transfer people in and out of their position numbers on MM to reflect their employment during the year. Deploy on Op Neon for 2 months, send Mbr to dispatch section of MM and get added into reception for Op Neon, then reverse that when he/she comes back. Every time you change your location on MM, you generate a new log in and default password -I suspect this will get tiresome.

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
I attended multiple Teams briefs this past week on Manager roles and the mechanics of PaCE. I didn’t like the comments that we needed to transfer people in and out of their position numbers on MM to reflect their employment during the year. Deploy on Op Neon for 2 months, send Mbr to dispatch section of MM and get added into reception for Op Neon, then reverse that when he/she comes back. Every time you change your location on MM, you generate a new log in and default password -I suspect this will get tiresome.
Ya, I always thought the credentials tied to a position vs an individual was weird and cumbersome….

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Monitor MASS is a hack made with little business process owner input, and not designed from the ground up with security in mind.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
That MM’s bastardized roots are growing into other processes is an example of why the CAF can’t have nice things. Lord knows how crazy it would be to define, specify and develop software IAW ISO/IEC/IEEE Std.12207

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I recall in the early 2000s, with little to no user access control in place, someone renamed a unit in Shilo "Princess Patricia's Canadian Mechanized Infantry" for fun.

Pro tip: reliable systems have strong access and edit controls.

Zoomie

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
Monitor MASS is a hack made with little business process owner input, and not designed from the ground up with security in mind.
Concur - yet we’ve decided to go ”all-in” using this software? Readiness, CFTPO, leave and now career. EMAA is apparently dying soon - to be replaced by MM?

CountDC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
according to certain members of the monitor mass team it is more secure than PKI. I would have to disagree with them as while an admin for PKI I could not change security settings, I could only setup and issue the card. As LACO for MM I could grant any member listed with the unit full access to everyone in the unit.

As for the renamed unit - I would suspect that was a member of the unit or it's higher HQ that was given maximum access rights and probably shouldn't have been. The issue wasn't necessarily the security of the system, it was the lack of training and understanding of the LACOs. Many of them would just give anyone full access without realizing what that involved. Give people only what they need to have. Sect Comds only need access to their section not the entire area/bde/unit.

Of course there is also the factor that the person responsible for the name change obviously did something they were not authorized to do and shouldn't have (but we do like to have fun with new systems). Reminds me of the new pay system a ways back and a Cpl that became I think General overnight - oops.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
PaCE sounded good for the first 45 seconds until I read units were still meriting soldiers. I look forward to having my evaluations of subordinates overruled IAW where the regiment wants to see them.

rmc_wannabe

Subscriber
Reaction score
PaCE sounded good for the first 45 seconds until I read units were still meriting soldiers. I look forward to having my evaluations of subordinates overruled IAW where the regiment wants to see them.
Even if it was removed formally from the process, it still would happen. At least this way, there is an actual regulatory failsafe in place to ensure the unit meriting has a left and right of arc.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I recall in the early 2000s, with little to no user access control in place, someone renamed a unit in Shilo "Princess Patricia's Canadian Mechanized Infantry" for fun.

Pro tip: reliable systems have strong access and edit controls.
Same thing happened by accident in our database, a officer changed every proponents name (15,000 files) to the one he was trying to input. thankfully there was a backup so we only lost a few days work. After that only admin staff were allowed to start a file.