• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National Truck Driver Shortage

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
While it is a minute amount of people, the liability the CAF exposes itself to by not acting is significant. So significant that the CDS will issue shortly a task order to address this, specifically how I suggested many posts ago. I just don’t believe it should have gone to that level. Base Comd should have taken action with their resources, under their command.

Also, the “minute” amount of people it affects (it is still many when you count across the country) are put under an incredible amount of stress throughout the ordeal. The CAF owes them the support throughout the ordeal and so far, the comms have been “You’re on your own. Good luck.” Not acceptable.

On the question whether I would volunteer myself and my staff? In a heartbeat. I care about people and their family. It isn’t just a saying for me.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
While it is a minute amount of people, the liability the CAF exposes itself to by not acting is significant. So significant that the CDS will issue shortly a task order to address this, specifically how I suggested many posts ago. I just don’t believe it should have gone to that level. Base Comd should have taken action with their resources, under their command.

Also, the “minute” amount of people it affects (it is still many when you count across the country) are put under an incredible amount of stress throughout the ordeal. The CAF owes them the support throughout the ordeal and so far, the comms have been “You’re on your own. Good luck.” Not acceptable.

On the question whether I would volunteer myself and my staff? In a heartbeat. I care about people and their family. It isn’t just a saying for me.
Then my congrats/salutations to you.

kev994

Subscriber
Reaction score
On one of the FB groups a member claims that 8 wing has moved their F&E to the arena UFN, completed 2 hours from closing

kev994

Subscriber
Reaction score
Wow.

So a predicament faced by a minute percentage of people should occupy the strategic thinking and decisions and deployments of the CAF?

I don't understand your thinking here. If it is a handful of cases, it will resolve itself. Are you offering up your staff to assist? Better yet, can you?
I don’t understand your thinking. If a handful of members a left to figure it out on their own then everyone else sees that the CAF doesn’t care and they start looking for work elsewhere lest they become part of the minute percentage.

Edit: basically everyone I talk to who’s moving this APS is terrified.

Quirky

Reaction score
So if Cpl Bloggins drops my box of dishes while moving all my stuff into the base arena, who picks up the tab, the unit?

hattrick72

Reaction score
Hopefully the base commanders are smart enough to task from within the unit affected and if ops are too busy they can go after 4.

kev994

Subscriber
Reaction score
So if Cpl Bloggins drops my box of dishes while moving all my stuff into the base arena, who picks up the tab, the unit?
Yeah, my first thought too, but I don’t see any better options if you have a closing date to meet. Apparently the movers’ warehouses are full so delaying closing, among other problems, just makes it worse. I’m glad there’s at least some sort of help because so far the answer has been that hope is a COA and according to policy you’re f&$@ed.

kev994

Subscriber
Reaction score
The list of ideas to solve your own problems that Max posted is up on an official website Here.

lenaitch

Reaction score
I posted earlier or in another thread of a friend who was under threat of being medically released, then told 'all's good', got promoted and posted, then received his release. Because of the 'all's fine' part, they started a family. His release date in February. In order to take advantage of educational subsidy, he has to release early in order to complete the course within time limits. He's now looking at potentially a cross-country move with a 2-week old. If there are complications with goods moving, it may push him over the edge.

Navy_Pete

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with this in Ottawa? One of the guys I work with had his movers cancel on him today and may show up tomorrow (with a close date of the 15th) so just wondering if they had a good POC (other than the base traffic I/C and 2I/C) or some hard earned advice to skip some BS.

MJP

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Good luck with that.
They aren't that difficult to do and when there is a clear nexus to it being a crown failure (breaking someone's plates) they become easier.

People just make them out to be hard mostly because they have so little experience dealing with them.

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
For those interested, the CDS signed the TASKORD on Monday. I attached it for reference.

Attachments

• -5037152237647249746cds_task_ord_aps_21_hg_e_removal.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 18