• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
You broke some ethical and moral boundaries.

I had a request from Gov of Sask through my employer about a software app for passport. Having worked with several health authorities I know the legal nightmare they are. I said sure we can do it as and we can discuss it as long as the gov provides indemnity contracts in regards to health record knowledge. That pretty well much ended the conversation right there and than. No I will not do jumping jacks in a mine field for no amount of money.

IMHO no one should know your medical status except your doctor or possibly a nurse as it pertains to my personhood. Although I am ok with Vaccine I am not ok with giving that status to any one and if that means I cannot participate in society because I have no pass then so be it. It doesn't bother me because I rather stay home and save money anyway :p hehe.

Road to hell is paved with good intentions.
You are, of course, aware that the military you’re just about to join requires disclosure of vaccine status?

HiTechComms

Reaction score
You are, of course, aware that the military you’re just about to join requires disclosure of vaccine status?
I am aware of that.

Signing on the dotted line I agreed to voluntarily give up my Canadian privileges. This doesn't mean I have the same stance or opinion of the civilian population. They didn't sign on the dotted line, Informed Consent and all that Jazz.

lenaitch

Reaction score
I am aware of that.

Signing on the dotted line I agreed to voluntarily give up my Canadian privileges. This doesn't mean I have the same stance or opinion of the civilian population. They didn't sign on the dotted line, Informed Consent and all that Jazz.
Sounds like you are in for a long and storied career. :ROFLMAO:

I don't recall signing anything when I was born to agree to follow the rules.

HiTechComms

Reaction score
Sounds like you are in for a long and storied career. :ROFLMAO:

I don't recall signing anything when I was born to agree to follow the rules.
I have no idea to what you are referring too and honestly don't care to much. I will be asked to make sacrifices while in the employ of the CAF and I will do so. If I didn't agree with that I would have not joined and I had been warned. Not sure why you are poking fun of that? (or are you poking fun of that)

shrug
It is what it is and thats all it is.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
I am aware of that.

There’s nothing unique to the military in having basic employment requirements. Many other employers are requiring vaccination proof, with legal opinions in hand saying that’s legal.

HiTechComms

Reaction score
There’s nothing unique to the military in having basic employment requirements. Many other employers are requiring vaccination proof, with legal opinions in hand saying that’s legal.
Not sure why this is morphing into something that I never said. Sure Informed consent and if your job requires it sure that is not a problem, then again I don't know everything and most private sector jobs I know off have no such stipulations. I have worked with/in a lot of private sector and public sectors. My whole point was that your medical information is yours unless you had previously agree to disclose those for a reason as part of an Informed consent situation.

You are now completely straw manning and keep changing goal posts because I could go on a 10 page explanation and you would word pick it with something that didn't jive with you. You do you. I am out, this a futile and fruitless conversation.

Booter

Subscriber
Reaction score
You broke some ethical and moral boundaries.

I had a request from Gov of Sask through my employer about a software app for passport. Having worked with several health authorities I know the legal nightmare they are. I said sure we can do it as and we can discuss it as long as the gov provides indemnity contracts in regards to health record knowledge. That pretty well much ended the conversation right there and than. No I will not do jumping jacks in a mine field for no amount of money.

IMHO no one should know your medical status except your doctor or possibly a nurse as it pertains to my personhood. Although I am ok with Vaccine I am not ok with giving that status to any one and if that means I cannot participate in society because I have no pass then so be it. It doesn't bother me because I rather stay home and save money anyway :p hehe.

Road to hell is paved with good intentions.
An easy position from the bench. On the operational side in impoverished communities with civilians running checkpoints trying to keep their community safe- we try and do our part. High ideals on the internet aside

I do hope that some middle ground is struck for people with the other ideals soon. Even those I disagree with,

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure why this is morphing into something that I never said. Sure Informed consent and if your job requires it sure that is not a problem, then again I don't know everything and most private sector jobs I know off have no such stipulations. I have worked with/in a lot of private sector and public sectors. My whole point was that your medical information is yours unless you had previously agree to disclose those for a reason as part of an Informed consent situation.

You are now completely straw manning and keep changing goal posts because I could go on a 10 page explanation and you would word pick it with something that didn't jive with you. You do you. I am out, this a futile and fruitless conversation.
It was a direct response to the inaccurate implication that by ‘signing in the dotted line’, for military service, that you were in an exceptional situation regarding that particular piece of information. That was directly on topic.

Generally speaking I’m in agreement with you on medically sensitive information. I simply don’t consider vaccinations to be a particularly sensitive or intrusive piece of information, and in a lot of different realms (childcare and education come to mind, plus numerous fields of employment), it’s already been a thing long before Covid.

It seems people easily forget we’re in a situation that has threatened public health in a way not seen in a century. It’s only because of all the many measures taken that things didn’t get far worse. Safe and easily available vaccinations are one of the best tool society has to deal with viral health crises. At some point, individual rights have to become balanced with individual responsibility, and with a collective duty to protect the more vulnerable whole- a concept that should actually come very easily to anyone signing up for military service. Receiving the Covid vaccine and attesting to your status is honestly one of the less intrusive and dangerous things that a military career will bring.

lenaitch

Reaction score

In 55-odd years, you are right; the vast majority of employers did not ask or care about my vaccination status (my main public sector career being the exception). My schools cared - perhaps why employers didn't. More recently; however, that has significantly changed, in all sectors (with the exception of the Conservative party it seems). I'm not sure I could get a job flipping burgers at McDs w/o proof. Welcome to the brave new world.

I'm with Brihard on this - I've never considered vaccination status as particularly personal.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
This is it. People equate getting a vaccine and disclosing it to other more personal medical issues and statuses. It’s a process. I mean people wear medic alert bracelets FFS. We literally ask people about food allergies so we don’t kill them.

Getting a vaccine or not seems to be way too sensitive than it needs to be.

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Yup. Particularly given how eager many were to specifically and publicly identify that they weren’t vaccinated, nor planning to be- until this had negative repercussions, and suddenly it’s super secret.
Which is a tricky thing to navigate, exemptions is something I am having to deal with in my unit with certain individual's, but I think we have struck the right balance. Example for a religous objection we are asking for a letter from a religious leader stating why vaccination is against their beliefs, and that is it, done deal. At the end of the day our task boils down to protecting the forces ability to defend Canada, which if that requires a vaccine, the CoC can mandate that, because it is for the common good of protecting the country.

Bruce Monkhouse

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Lost me at " division ".......getting vaccinated is certainly not dividing us.
What are we at at now? Around 80% and climbing.....just how many seats would that win a party in Ottawa if those were votes? And would folks say that is a divided country?

Scott

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Not really a surprise. Any of the impacted professions have a couple % who will publicly and actively resist the vaccine mandate, I guess the RCMP are the same. There have been similar letters from small gaggles of nurses, teachers, etc. That particularly letter starts out reasonably well written, then descends into the same familiar BS. The holocaust references are particularly dumb and disappointing.

Some will choose to eat the LWOP, some will retire, some will choose to get vaccinated. Up to them I guess.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Not really a surprise. Any of the impacted professions have a couple % who will publicly and actively resist the vaccine mandate, I guess the RCMP are the same. There have been similar letters from small gaggles of nurses, teachers, etc. That particularly letter starts out reasonably well written, then descends into the same familiar BS. The holocaust references are particularly dumb and disappointing.

Some will choose to eat the LWOP, some will retire, some will choose to get vaccinated. Up to them I guess.
I also call BS. 27K active serving RCMP members signed this? That math doesn’t add up.

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
I also call BS.
When it comes from the RCMP union, I will take it seriously.

The National Police Federation is the sole certified bargaining agent for regular Members and reservists of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police below the rank of Inspector.